23 August 2014

Birch forest

I’ve been thinking about the hair assignment and I’m actually having trouble deciding on what to shoot. I’d like to surprise myself… not do anything too predictable. Heh, easier said than done. I’m really hoping that you’re keen on the assignment too, I’d love to see your contributions.
I’m also working currently on a braid photo project which is why I’m extra interested in hair at the moment :)

I shot this photo in the birchforest last Saturday. Some of the branches were cut down and had been laying on the ground just long for the leaves to dry a little.  So the whole place smelled like a luxurious sauna. It was great. I thought I would be alone so I could shoot this but I discovered that there was actually a path further down the forest so now and then people came by. But not too often…which had to mean the path wasn’t popular.  It was marked with white dots. So after photographing and getting 3 ticks I picked 1,5 liter blackberries and went looking for the white path.
The weather was perfect. . It was 17 °C, cloudy, and I felt like one with the air.  I wore jeans and a thin cotton sweater that barely touched the naked skin underneath. And NO bag. This is a big thing for me. I always have a super stuffed k√•nken backback – wherever I go. Packed with heavy camera, extra sweater, water, hairbrush, book etc. But now I only wanted the weight of my own body. I tiptoed around the berry bushes into the white path. It was strange. I’ve been in this forest so many times and never noticed this. It went the opposite way that I always do.  

I came into a beautiful open field with a few trees and bushes. I climbed an oak tree and smelled the last summerair. Then the field formed into a hill and the view showed fluffy white cows. The path was really cozy. I found mushrooms and a larger pond with waterlilies, and eventually ended up right where I had been photographing. 
Always great finding new places in a place you thought you'd already explored. 

8 comments:

  1. You must live in a really nice place, must be very inspiring. Unfortunately I'm not so good in taking photos, otherwise I would join your hair assignment-project. I'm looking forward to the results – have a good weekend and creative time : )
    best wishes Beatrice

    ReplyDelete
  2. this story makes me a little home sick to the Scandinavian forest (although I have only been there a few times) I enjoyed reading it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gemma,
      yeah, for me scandinavian nature is the best, wherever I go I always miss it!

      Delete
  3. Like the photo :) There's nothing that will clear your mind like a walk in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting picture you melting in with nature looking very determined and edgy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I like that comment; "Determined and edgy"... I never thought of that - but now when I look at it I see that that's how I look ^_^

      Delete
  5. Lovely Uli, I've been researching the hair project today! I would really like to get involved. I adore the woods, I feel so at home there. Me and my boyfriend went walking in the woods this summer and found a huge up-rooted tree, we spent ages there, it was lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great that your looking into the hair project :)
    I think I'm gonna shoot mine during this weekend.

    ReplyDelete