15 January 2013

Remembering warmth



I'm not so much a summer person. But in january you start to wonder what the sun looks like... because you hardly ever see her. It's just grey grey grey. If you have a full-time job I think the darkness gets to you more. Especially if you work in a place with no windows. Then you would go to work when it's dark and come home in the dark. Like an owl. Hoot hoot.
When I lived in Lofoten the winters were even darker than here. In january we had what they called the bluehour. For an hour or two during the day... it went from dark to darkblue... like in a cloudy twilight. That was the lightest it would get. For a photographer, this was rather frustrating. So many of us spent those days in the dark room.
However, once spring comes to Lofoten it just gets lighter and lighter until the sun never sets. I worked at a restaurant in Lofoten during the summer. If I ended my shift at 01.30 A.M I would still be walking home with the sun on my face. That was really nice!

12 comments:

  1. loveliness

    http://www.vasilievablog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe, hello, little owl :), you are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely photos. Yes, I feel the same way. I miss our sun as well. I am glad the days are getting longer now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can't even imagine a day with either no daytime or no nighttime! Beautiful photos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm in Texas so there is no end to the sunshine here, really. well, the last 2 days have been cold and rainy. But I can't imagine at least one day a week without sunshine! Off to put on some cuddly clothes...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine living in either condition, it sounds like for you the lack of sun in the winter is even more dangerous than it is for me (in Canada). But for the sun to NEVER set like what you said about Lofoten, that just sounds... magical.
    I once had a layover in Helsinki the day after the solstice and I watched the sunset at 11:45 pm. It was from inside the airport by then, but it still felt strange and so very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sun never setting, sounds like a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be ok. I'm undoubtedly enjoying your blog and
    look forward to new posts.
    Check out my homepage - the truth teller show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I do have twitter but I never tweet :)

      Delete
  9. Two great grey owls were in our front yard, calling out to each other; a sign of spring. Thank you for this fresh blog; we are thick in the mid-winter in Minnesota, very dark but inching towards another minute of daylight each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow... that's cool having owls in your front yard! I wish we had that. But we only have magpies :)

      Delete
  10. here the day is light & the night is dark : )
    you called the sun as "her".
    is it a female in finland : )
    in your first foto i can almost here the birds tweeting!

    ReplyDelete