25 December 2012

Handmade Holiday Gifts





When christmas is over I often tell myself Don't make your gifts by hand next year.. it takes foreeeever!! But then a year goes by and I forget what I told myself a year back. Often I also want to explore new ways to create gifts... like painting porcelain, I've never tried that before.

To Robert I bought some cups but I also wanted to try and paint some myself. So I bought a simple white teapot in IKEA that I thought fitted a good amount (1,7 liter) and simple white cups in a different store. I didn't use a porcelain-pen because the black was out of stock until january, so I bought a little jar with color in panduro. It can be tricky to paint correctly with a brush so I mainly used a very thin iron-wire that I dipped in the color. Then you let it try for 24 hours and afterwards you leave it in the oven for 35 minutes at 150°. It's tempting to buy vintage porcelain to paint.... but remember that old porcelain isn't as good at handling oven or microwave. I don't think you have to bake the color if you draw with porcelain pencils though... but then it doesn't really stand the dishwasher.

To Roberts sister I made a little purse from curtain fabric and an old purple velvet skirt. I painted the outside with a textile pencil... I had to borrow one from Robert though, because the ones they sell in panduro really suck. I normally use jars with color for this too... but it takes forever to draw with an iron-wire and it doesn't get very precise.

For Roberts father I painted a jar with glass color and filled it up with good night tea. His mum got an apron that I sewed from a tulip fabric I bought a long time ago and an old red linen curtain. The name's painted with a textile pen.

In January I'll celebrate christmas with my family, and I have hardly started on those gifts yet...määh.

I hope you had a wonderful christmas! 

23 comments:

  1. Ohh good advice on the porcelain paint! I actually got some for Christmas so sure will get to experiment now! :)
    And let's not forget, they all look gorgeous! I love the cats swimming in the tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are so lovely! home-made gifts are the best :)
    i also like the texture of your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ubercute!

    http://hypemyhip.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. underbara presenter uli!! verkligen. mångra pussar från ditt största fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such lovely gift ideas! I'm always stumped when it comes to thinking of handmade gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that tea set. Such a simple and elegant idea.
    kind regards

    ReplyDelete
  7. Handmade gifts are the best and you're the best in making them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Men, du är ju fenomenal! Hemgjorda klappar är de bästa att ge bort, och få saker toppade skattkistan min 11-årige bror snickrat ihop till mig i slöjden. Annars har jag stickat halsdukar och broderat Rolling Stones-tungor i år. Himmelskt med den här inspirationen till kommande jular!
    Tack och god fortsättning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tack! Tänka sig att få en ihopsnickrad skattkista, inte illa!

      Delete
  9. your presents are all wonderful ulrika!
    waiting to see the ones for you family too!

    my best wishes for the new year!
    i wish you are enjoying the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, happy holidays to you too

      Delete
  10. Du kanske redan vet om det men du finns med på http://www.booooooom.com/2012/12/28/top-15-posts-on-booooooom-in-2012/ ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nämen så kul! Tack för att ni är så snälla och informerar mig om sånna här saker :)

      Delete
  11. Skulle precis säga samma som Kristin! Grattis!! Hur bra som helst! Fortsätt inspirera!!! http://www.booooooom.com/2012/12/28/top-15-posts-on-booooooom-in-2012/

    ReplyDelete
  12. your photographs are so magical! I adore that teapot and those cups, he's a one lucky guy to have them. it is great that there are people this talented, and I'm so happy that I found my way to your blog, this is really inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Åh vad fint alltihopa! Jag blir verkligen inspirerad av din blogg!
    Och definitivt inspirerad till att börja med porslinsmålning ;) sist jag gjorde det var jag nog tio och ritade allting grönt med porslinspenna!
    Älskar verkligen kopparna, hade blivit grymt glad om jag hade fått dom i julklapp så förstår att du gjorde succé!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, you got me with the cat mugs with the cat's head at the liquid line. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I could not resist commenting. Exceptionally well written!

    Here is my site ... gardening

    ReplyDelete
  16. Τhiѕ іs a tоpic that's near to my heart... Many thanks! Exactly where are your contact details though?

    Feel free to visit my webpage gardening

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haѵе been bгоwѕing onlinе
    mоre than thгеe hours today, уet І never found any inteгesting artіcle like уours.

    It is pretty worth enough fоr me.
    ӏn mу view, if all site
    owners аnd blοggers made gooԁ
    contеnt аѕ you dіd, thе net will bе
    а lot more uѕeful than еνer before.

    Feel freе to suгf tо my wеb pаge; organic soil

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi there, ӏ enjοy rеading
    through уοur article. I wanted to wгitе a
    little comment to suppοrt you.

    my weblog ... losing weight aftеr 50 ()

    ReplyDelete
  19. I for all time emailed this web site post page to аll my contactѕ, for the
    rеason that іf like to read it aftеr that my lіnks will too.


    Take a look аt my web-ѕіte core training pilates

    ReplyDelete