08 June 2012

Superdog Lova





When I was 18 I did a photoproject with dogs. I followed a bunch of ladies that met every morning and walked their dogs for about 2 hours. Some of them were retired and some were on sick leave. I followed them every morning I had available (during my last year of high school) for about one and a half year. It was a great way to really get to know the owners and to really get to know their dogs.
Some dogs where very photogenic and some where pretty much impossible to get a good picture of.
There was one dog however, that stood out from all the rest. Lova. A springer spaniel, but a more athletic hunting breed than the english springer, in sweden it's called stötande springer spaniel because their job is to jump in the high grass and scare the birds away.
She was so funny. Always energetic and happy. Whenever I had a stick in my hand she was standing in front of me, begging for me to toss it. There was nothing she loved more than jumping like crazy. In the end, there was a awkward situation between me and Lovas owner since Lova was getting more and more attached to me and I think she didn't really appreciate the way I kept tossing sticks at her while photograhing. Maybe she was scared that the dog would get hurt in a jump. I fully understood this and tried not to give Lova as much attention after a while. But sometimes it was hard not to, because no one photographed as beautifully as her.

A few weeks ago, I met one of the dogowners while biking into town. I found out that Lova had died in cancer two years ago. I was so suprised... I said goodbye and kept going... but then off course I started crying and my heart just sank. Actually I'm crying right now too because I was so crazy for that dog.
I really wish there is a heaven up there.... and that Lova is able to jump around all day every day and that she is super happy.



Thanks for being so supportive while I'm in my photo-rut by the way. I've already gotten 3 girls volunteering to model for me... and I actually found a new brilliant location... here in my own hometown. So maybe something beautiful will pop up soon :)

23 comments:

  1. Riktigt fina bilder, min mamma hade älskat att anställa dig till sin älskade hund olivia (rhodesian ridgeback): )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every creative has "ruts". But rut sounds so negative. Often at the end of a hiatus like this something wonderful bursts forth and you realize the pause was well worth it. I believe the creative mind needs these occasional rests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so. Maybe I should just aloud myself to take a break!

      Delete
    2. I second. The worst thing an artist can do is beat themselves up about it. Allow yourself a rest, perhaps look at it like 'fuel' for your next creative burst!

      Delete
  3. I love the second photo, looks like she is dancing :)
    C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry, there is heaven for all dogs :)
    Rememer that story - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0EDP9Sf4kE ? :)
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome pup pictures!!

    Caroline
    http://www.anabstractnoun.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a beautiful portrait
    of a wonderful dog

    Patrice A.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no that's heartbreaking :( Dogs are so special. And that one was quite the muse!! THose images are amazing.

    Yay for finding a new photoshoot scape though :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope she didn't suffer so much from her cancer, she looks so happy and playful! =/ I'm already terrified of the day when our dog will die.

    I wanted to ask you for a little help - my flat is near a park where there live a whole bunch of the cutest little rabbits, but of course they have little understanding of photography and run away as soon as they see me on the horizon. Now you have quite some experience in taking photos of animals, so do you have any advice for me? Will they get used to me when I hang around them a lot or is it pointless without a good telephoto lens?

    Love, Jule

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jule, aa... rabbits are super tricky! I've tried to photograph them with a normal lens but they are so very nervous. The only time I got a good picture of a rabbit in the wild is when I had about 350 mm lens and was sitting for quite some time hunched on the ground, balancing my camera on my camera bag. If the rabbits feel that you're doing something, and not actually just watching them, they might get more relaxed. If I were you I would put out some food that they might like on the area you usually see them... and then maybe sit there for an hour... close by.
      But otherwise, yeah telephoto lens might be crucial. I hope you succeed though!

      Delete
    2. Hey Uli,

      thanks for your help - maybe I'll just need a bit more patience?
      I guess I'll just spend one afternoon on a blanket in the grass near the place where they live and hope they will grow used to me being there - and try to persuade them with some super delish rabbit food, too. I'll tell you if I was successful! :)
      It's really sweet of you how you answer every single comment, by the way ;)

      Delete
  9. uli, what a beautiful story and beautiful pictures. I discovered your blog recently and have been enjoying it immensely; I feel you have a haunting sense for what is beautiful and the love of your country touches everything you do, in a way. Thank you for sharing little bits of your life with us. - v

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you for the kind words. And thanks for hanging around the blog :) Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  10. That second photo is hilarious ~ its so sad that the dog died without you being aware that she was ill or had died.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Photographs ULI! Especially the one where Lova is looking right into the lens with the stick in her mouth. So beautiful! I hope you're well! i miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hihi, yes that was the owners favorite one as well, because that's how they all remembered her, with a stick in her mouth :)

      Delete
    2. That was mina favourite as well! I don't know if you got my comment about my brother's dog? She was put to sleep yesterday after 12 years and Iäm crying like a little girl... I just miss her but I know that she is in dogheaven playing around with her friends..

      Kram Andrea

      Delete
  12. You are soo good at phototgraphing animals! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Camilla :) But it's not just me, the dog is doing her part (modeling) as well!

      Delete
  13. Love your website, love your pictures. I'm happy the internet brought me here.
    From your eyes, I feel Lova enjoyed very much her life.

    Kisses from Brazil,

    Verônica Alves
    www.pupillas.com

    ReplyDelete