12 April 2012

puzzled s[h]elf




I've been looking forward to share my bachelor project with you! After all, I have the luck of having the nicest followers that always support my work :) You have no clue of how thankful I am of that.
As some of you might remember, I started out this project with what I call a dreamspace and I looked into how people cleared their head and sort of freed their inner child. From that I was thinking about a babies first creative toy; the cubes (or maybe some call them blocks?).

Then my project stumbled into how we interact with furniture. What furniture we touch and interact with every day and what furniture or objects we very seldom touch. I also looked into what objects our guests touch and things they wouldn't touch (like opening our private drawers or looking inside our bathroom cabinet). I thought the privacy behind doors, however small or big, was interting. And what would then happen if you put something playful on a door? Would visitors allow themselves to open this door because it invites to play?

What symbolizes a closed door more than a key? And isn't it interesting how we guard the keys themselves behind doors? I wanted my playful puzzle door to act as an abstract message board. And since I wanted it to guard keys and to be the first and last thing you saw when leaving your home, I thought I would be clever to make it into a hallway furniture.

When leaving our home we are often stressed by time. We're running of to somewhere and trying desperately not to be late. I feel however that we're often watched by our clocks. They're these big faces looking down at us from high up on the wall. Are we really looking at time or is time looking at us? 
In my furniture I wanted a friendly little reminder of time. I put in a vintage little clock (from a wristwatch) on the lower part of one of the doors. This way you have to bend down and really chose to see the time. Because my project is a lot about finding that playful mind of a child and children really don't stress about time the way we do. 


I was really stressed during my presentation yesterday. I was presenting by the end of the day so I had time to stress myself to max during the day. I prefer to present my things first because then I can stay confident while I speak. But the longer I have to wait the worse it gets. So when it was my time my throat has so dry I could hardly speak. I also got what we call in swedish a lid in the ear, I don't know how you say this in english. But you know when one ear closes and you can hear yourself in your head while you speak (going crazy confused)? So there I was, couldn't really hear myself and couldn't really speak. Luckily I think the teachers liked my project anyway.

36 comments:

  1. You did and sounded great yesterday! I think you put the professors (the ones who were discouraging of your your ideas) in their place yesterday, they were def intrigued :)hugs sasha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha, but I'm still disappointed that I got so nervous, like a little child :)

      Delete
  2. The shelf is a brilliant idea and I think the lines you wrote about the clock was very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jag är glad att anki kom med i gifen haha :) det var en jättefin hallmöbel ullbull! du är GRYM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ANKiiiiii :) :)

    Tack tack alla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your creation is so fun, so thoughtful, and well executed. I love the gif too. Congrats on your fabulous creation! You should be really proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your works are absolutely great!! All of them so different and so interesting.
    (with your permission I add a link to your blog in mine :) )

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a project! I want one in my hallway.Clever indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing Ulrika, you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Åh herregud så fint! Riktigt fantastiskt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. From USA in Idaho... I follow your work and your talent shines thru.

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha, I love the video, it makes me happy :D Its the same with me and my nervousity before presentations. I also like to do them at first. otherwise my mind goes craaaazy during all the waiting ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riiight! It really does. Happy you liked the video, it was suppose to give to product a happy feel :)

      Delete
  12. It's amazing!! It's really clever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Superfint! Väldigt intressant idé också. Grattis till examen! KRam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Utrolig fint og fantastisk! Eg vil gjerne ha en sånn en hjemme! :D Lykke til med eksamen, syns du fortjene en veldig god karakter utifra det eg har sett :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautifully done and creative:) keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a great work! Thanks for sharing your work. (I want it in my living room! :-P)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi from Kansas in USA ~ I love, love, love your Puzzled S(h)elf project!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WELL DONE ULI! IT'S BEAUTIFUL:))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh! This project is so so beautiful and inspiring! Love this self and would totally have one in my home! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful project! congratulations, really wonderful and well designed :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is just amazing - you deserve to be really proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a wonderful work (as usual). good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. what a great piece!
    I love the story behind it
    love how you made it
    and that video... great!
    you can be very proud

    congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't really no that your professors told about it, but i think the playground that you created in this project is great, i love it. It's very comforting that some designers are doing something fun for adults also, cause everything is so serious )))
    I think probably the most important thing for the study period (as a student) is not to afraid to have fun in your projects, even if something isn't really finished from it's functional side. Cause function is gonna be fine as soon as you gonna be out there in the real world of work, but this kind of creativity is much more appreciated.
    Also really like your blog, it's really inspiring me to see your works. pictures ... Thanks )

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the element of play that comes into something that is also practical ~ such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hej, jag har aldrig kommenterat här men nu måste jag det för så UNDERBART FIN! Jag är helt kär. Så stilfult, praktiskt, genomtänkt (älskar att klockan är så liten- den känns verkligen mer inbjudande än hotande) och materialet och ytan och storleken på hyllorna och mönstermöjligheterna.
    Jag brukar tycka att ''jaja'' när det kommer till design, även fast jag älskar det, så tycker jag aldrig att det kommer något nytt som verkligen är slående. Men den här förtjänar ju allt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ammen, så väldigt snällt skrivet. Det värmer att du kan betrakta min design som något lite mer spännande än de vanliga kala rena formerna som släpps ut på marknaden nu för tiden. Jättetack! Och tack för att du följer bloggen också såklart :)

      Delete
  27. Hello tо аll, how іѕ аll, I think every оne is getting
    more fгοm thіѕ web ѕitе, and your
    viewѕ аге nіce deѕignеd for new ρeople.



    mу homepage ... short term loans

    ReplyDelete