18 March 2011

Ruva, treelight for midnight picnics



This is my light for our LED project in school. As I might have written before, I wanted to make a foxscarf with glowing eyes and got really grumpy when my teacher didn't allow me. However, I discovered that the light through a jar was really pretty, almost as a water reflection, so I wanted to use a jar as my starting point. It's always really cosy when people hang jar with lights in trees. However, then the light is going up and you can't see the beautiful pattern the jars bottom makes.
At first I just wanted to make a wooden blob on top of the jar, were I could put all the technical stuff inside. I thought; no no I can't make an animal since my teacher said "Don't do what you always do". But in the end I experimented with putting a beak on my blob and then there was no turning back.
Off course it should be little birds sitting on their glowing nests hanging from the tree!

It's called RUVA, which means brood (as in sit(brood) on eggs) and it's purpose is to give a waterlike light down on the ground beneath a tree. The lamp should hang on strings so that the light moves in the wind. This in order to bring a little cozier feeling to the park at night, or maybe even encourage midnight picnics (that hopefully won't end up with rapist running out from the bush next to you). The jars can have different shapes and forms, as can the birds. This is just one example.

Note, after presentation, teachers comment:
"You have this nice light idea, and then you destroy it with that BIRD. What is it doing there? It is SO confusing. "

14 comments:

  1. ah super fin! Så himla typiskt lärare att säga en sån mening.. menmne i slutändan så vill de väl bara en väl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, ja ibland är vi inte så säkra på det!

    ReplyDelete
  3. jag tycker du gör helt rätt i att göra djur.. du är ju faktiskt jätteduktig på det!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alltså I loooove this! Seriöst. I want one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Skit i lærarna!
    Jag tycker du ær duktig Ulrika! Djur ær kul..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tack alla ni, djur är cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jag vill ha en! åh uli, de var jätte fina! och namnet Ruva passar riktigt bra tycker jag. Du skulle ju nästan kunna skapa en kollektion med djur ljus källor. Tänker på hund nattlampan du gjorde =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. den va jo jattesnygg. e vil gjerne ha ein sånn i eit tre e kan gå te! fortsett med fuglane dine, læreren din kanskje ebrre e redd dyr.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha he's just jealous that you can think outside the box, while he is still trapped inside.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that wooden bird atop the light. I am a fan of such contrasts, such juxtapositions.

    Happy making.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Garcia, you are always so friendly :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, så fine! Har du tenkt til å produsere flere og selge. Jeg vil gjerne kjøpe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. such a silly teacher! what is confusing about birds in a tree?
    i find this design wonderfully well rounded and applaud your work. It is evident you are developing a strong style and although it is fantastic to work outside of your comfort zone, you should not ignore the themes you are drawn to.

    well done :)

    ReplyDelete